Friday, December 09, 2005

tinned peaches

Probably the most obvious blogging song I've posted yet, but if you've not heard this track before or if it's been a while, I urge you to give it a(nother) listen.

Frank Zappa - Peaches En Regalia



My earliest Zappa memories - being about 11-12 at the house of some friends of my parents watching a Whistle Test all-dayer with some older kids (I think we'd just watched "King Frat" on VHS...). I was half asleep and kept waking up throughout that crazy claymation video that he did - can't remember that title! Also, when I was 14-15, I always used to get into music conversations with my French teacher and he tried to lend me a knackered copy of "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" but the cover freaked me out so I didn't bother.

After many years of shoulder-shrugging and "I-don't-get-it"'s, I'm finally STARTING to get Zappa. I bought a "Best Of" about a month ago and have listened to this track an average of once a day ever since. This song is mental and mind-boggling - there are more ideas in 3.38 than most bands get through in an entire career. Listen to the wild instrumentation, the doubling on the melody lines, the abrupt shifts in texture. And try to imagine mixing it all down from 16 tracks to create a stereo master! Plus it's still really FUNKY!!

Visit Zappa.com
Buy The Best Of Frank Zappa

No comments: